Naviance Instructions for Seniors Applying to College
- Go to http://chs.rdale.org/
- Click on Quicklinks
- Click on Naviance
- Log in info is: (user name= Cooper ID#, password=6 digit birthdate)
- Click on “About Me” & Click on “Profile”
- Click on the little yellow pencil under “Email” and enter your email address, Hit Update
- Click on the “Colleges” tab
- Click on “Colleges I Am Applying To” and “add to this list”. Click the “look up” button to find a list of colleges to choose from. Enter each college you have already applied to or will be shortly applying to.
- Click the “request transcript” and “I have submitted my application” button if you have already applied. If you have not yet applied, please apply first, and then request your transcript!
** Some colleges accept various types of applications, including the Common Application and the new "Coalition App." Please make sure to indicate which application was used when given the choice. If you click that you are using the common app, we will not be able to release your transcript until you match your Common App account to your Naviance account. This can be done in your Naviance account under the "Colleges I'm Applying to" tab. At least one teacher recommendation and the counselor secondary report must go through Naviance. This link will show you how to match accounts: http://vimeo.com/102639828
Please see Ms. Ritter or Ms. Warndahl in the College & Career Center or Ms. Burkholder in the guidance office with questions!
If you need teacher recommendations, go to the “Colleges” tab and then “Letters of Recommendation” page and click on “add requests.” You can then choose a teacher from the pull down menu and type a message. Please talk to them in person as well!! You can also then pick which schools you would like the letter to be sent to as some schools set a limit on the number of letters that they will take. The recommendation will be sent electronically as long as the teacher uploads it. If a teacher is not on the list, ask them to talk to Ms. Ritter about being added to the list.
The scholarship list is located under the “Colleges” tab. It is important to check this list weekly as new scholarships are added often. All of our local, community, district and high school scholarships are kept in this spot and the applicant pools of these scholarships are much smaller than the national scholarships! We encourage students to use this list as a first resource for applying to scholarships.
Bottom of Form
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
- Should I use the Common Application? (www.commonapp.org)
If you are applying to 2 or more colleges that take the common app, then it may make sense to use it. If you are only applying to 1 college that takes the common app, it is usually best to do the application for that college/university. For colleges that are Common App Exclusive, there is no choice. You must use the common app.
- What is the Coalition App?
The Coalition App is a new application used by approximately 50 colleges & universities and is another application option available to students by their member schools. They offer a platform of tools that students may find helpful.
- How many letters of recommendation do I need?
It depends on the college. Generally, two letters of recommendation is a good number but some colleges do not even require them so it is best to do your research. Many scholarships do require letters of recommendation so having 2 is a good plan.
- How do I request ACT scores be sent to the colleges?
ACT scores are listed on your high school transcript as long as you put down your high school code when you registered. First, check with the college to see if they accept it off of the transcript. Many of the MN colleges and universities now accept them off of the transcript. If they do not, you must log in to your ACT account, and pay the $12 for each college.
- How do I request transcripts and letters of recommendations?
Transcript requests are done through Naviance, as stated above, and should be done at least 2 week before the college’s deadline. When requesting a letter of recommendation, it is best to give teachers at least 3-4 weeks, but this timeline is at the discretion of each teacher. The career center has letter of rec questionnaires available.
- Where is the best place to find scholarships?
The scholarship list in Naviance! Local scholarships are the best scholarships to apply to as they have the smallest candidate pool. Also, check early with the colleges and universities that you are applying to and see if there are early deadlines (some are as early as Nov. 1st) for particular scholarships.
- How many colleges should I apply to?
5 is a good average. Applying to 3 match schools, 1 safe school, and 1 reach school is a very good strategy!
- When is College Knowledge Month? College Knowledge Month happens during the month of October. There will be field trips to colleges and various speakers to discuss important topics regarding the college application process.
During entire month of October, the following colleges and universities will be waiving their application fees: Alexandria Tech, Bemidji State, Fond Du Lac Tribal & CC, Mesabi Range College, NW Tech College, Rainy River CC, Ridgewater College, South Central College, SCSU, St. Cloud Tech
The following schools will not charge a fee during the last week of October: Century College, Dakota County Tech College, Hibbing CC, Itasca CC, Lake Superior College, MCTC, MN State Comm & Tech College, MN State College- SE Tech, MSU-Mankato, MSU-Moorhead, MN West Comm & Tech College, Normandale CC, NHCC, Northland Comm & Tech College, Riverland CC, Southwest MN State University, Vermillion CC, Winona State University
Questions?? Stop by the College & Career Center, Room 211, & see Ms. Ritter or Ms. Warndahl!